Thursday, April 8, 2010

Feeling Hungary: Part I

View of the lovely town of Esztergom, Hungary...

The church in Esztergom...

A really neat statue on the ledge behind the church...

So you may be wondering, what exactly is there to see in Esztergom? Let me tell you, not much. A church and a pretty view could pretty much sum it up. The church we visited was really beautiful, but unfortunately we were unable to make it inside because mass was being held. Behind the church there was a ledge overlooking a river and the town of Esztergom. The church was situated on a very large hill above the rest of the city; the view was pretty surreal. When it was time to head back, instead of going down the way we came up, someone decided to play a sick joke on us all. First we were instructed to run down an extremely steep hill. The boys sat at the bottom to take bets on which girls would fall; I luckily was the first to make it down and did so with out falling. Once we reached the bottom we had to jump off a seven-foot wall to reach our final destination. This was a lawsuit waiting to happen; what were they thinking? After we all safely made it down I tripped over a branch in the street and cut my foot open; leave it to me, right? We then walked down the rest of the hill and made it to the restaurant where we had dinner. The restaurant was really nice and we had a room in the back all to ourselves. The tables were already set, and there was red wine waiting for us. I was informed before this meal that Hungarian gulas was much better than Czech gulas; I’m afraid the people who told me this were misinformed. Don’t get me wrong, it was good, but in no way does it compare to the Czech version. After dinner we were on the bus yet again and headed for Budapest.

No comments:

Post a Comment