Monday, April 12, 2010

Destination II: Milan, Italy

Santa Maria delle Grazie, home of Leonardo da Vinci's "The Last Supper"

Well, there isn't much to say about Milan. Considering Kenny and I were there for less than 24 hours and didn't get to see the one thing we went there for. After our train arrived we figured out which metro we needed to take to get to our hotel. As we got off the metro and started walking in the direction of the hotel, we were both wondering one thing: where the heck are we? When we finally stumbled upon the hotel we were relieved to say the least; I think we were both exhausted. So I set my alarm and crashed. The next morning I woke up and hopped in the shower. As I was rinsing the shampoo from my hair it clicked. Crap. We sprung forward last night. (In most of Western Europe this happens about two weeks after it does for you guys.) So that meant it was 10:00 now and not 9:00, and we were supposed to check out at 10:00. Oops. Kenny wasn't too happy, but what can you do. Now the day was off to a rush, thanks to me. Luckily we found the church that houses Leonardo da Vinci's "The Last Supper" without a problem. We had two hours until we had to be to the train station as we walked through the entrance. Problem number two. Tickets sold out. The lady working behind the desk told us to check back in April. What a shame; we stopped in Milan for nothing. We didn't even have enough time to see the Duomo or anything else for that matter. So we grabbed a slice of pizza and headed towards the train station. We only had a half hour to get to our train, and then I pulled another genius move. I ran up the escalator (trying to hurry and buy our tickets) in sandals. Of course I fell, as I usually do. (Thanks mom...) It was nothing more than a sharp pain and a bit of embarrassment. It wasn't until I walked a little further and felt my foot become soaking wet that I realized we may have a problem. So, knowing we were in a hurry, I toughed it out and waited until we boarded the train to take a proper look. The underside of my foot, as well as my sandal, was covered in blood and there was a chunk of my big toe missing. I rinsed it off and wrapped it with a paper towel, and that's how it stayed until we reached Pisa...

No comments:

Post a Comment