Sunday, March 7, 2010

Prague Castle

Prague Castle from the distance...

Some books inside the palace...

Ceiling in the palace...

Cathedral inside the palace...

St. Vitus Cathedral...

St. Vitus Cathedral...

Clock tower on St. Vitus Cathedral...

A really neat mosaic on the outside of St. Vitus Cathedral...

St. Vitus Cathedral...

Kiera and I with a guard at the castle...

Check out those knockers!!!

St. Vitus Cathedral

Entrance to the Prague Castle...

The next stop for Kenny and I was Prague Castle... The tickets that we purchased allowed us to enter the palace, St. George's Basilica, and St. Vitus Cathedral. It took us a couple of tries to get in... On the first trip up we got there right as it was closing so we went back the next day. I was a little disappointed by the palace itself. Its restoration made it seem too modern and took away from its antiquity. The president of the Czech Republic, Vaclav Klaus, actually lives at the castle and Parliament still convenes there. Which I think is pretty interesting... Our second visit to the castle happened to be on Sunday, so we were unable to enter St. Vitus Cathedral for sightseeing purposes. So, Kenny and I decided to draw lunch out for a while and attend the 16:00 mass... It was unlike anything I have ever experienced. Unlike the Catholic masses that I am used to, the priest entered, kneeled in front of the altar, and never moved. He obviously spoke in Czech, which is hard enough to follow on its own, and prayed for 45 minutes straight. I tried to fight my heavy eye lids, but in the end I lost. About 10 minutes before it was over I totally fell asleep and woke up to Kenny tapping me on the knee... pretty pathetic I know. St. George's Basilica was just a small little church with nothing too exciting going on... It had faded frescos on the ceiling and had been restored a little too much just like the palace. I think its kind of funny how all the travel books make such a big deal about the castle because I think Prague has much better sights to offer... that are FREE to see! It was still cool to see all of the architecture and everything that I am learning about in my classes though!

1 comment:

  1. Prague was great, thanks for being such a good tour guide. Also i like the new Blog layout its looking really good... And my favorite part of all is when you made the joke on one of your pictures about me liking Prague more than Madrid.. haha. Madrid is the greatest city on earth... you'l see!

    ReplyDelete