Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Kenneth's Visit to Praha ♥

Kenny and I on his last night in town ♥

Just me with a wooly mammoth! No big deal!

A GIGANTIC creepy crawly in the National Museum...

My delicious hamburger...

Kenneth and I in front of the Dancing House...

Lennon Wall...

Lennon Wall...

Panoramic view of part of the Lennon Wall...

A really cool fence near the Lennon Wall that is covered in locks with the names and anniversaries of various couples... So cute ♥

Part of an interesting exhibit in the Prague Modern Art Museum...

Delicious Czech treat... YUMMY!

Church of Our Lady Týn in Old Town Square...

Kenny in front of the Astrological Clock in Old Town Square.

Me in front of the Astrological Clock in Old Town Square.

Strange little statue hanging from a building somewhere in old town...

Kenny and I in the pathetic Mirror Maze, taking a goofy picture and trying to get our money's worth!

Me being so happy to live in this BEAUTIFUL city!

Just Kenneth thinking about how much cooler Prague is than Madrid...

Crucifix on the Charles Bridge... If you notice the two gold spots on the bottom of the statue, they are gold because people rub them as they walk past and kneel to pray.

Just me being goofy on the Charles Bridge...

A neat statue on the Charles Bridge...

Kenny and I on our first day out exploring Prague...

Reading update: I finished Eclipse today and just picked up the last book in the Twilight series, Breaking Dawn. I feel like a 13 year old girl but they are such great books!

So last weekend Kenny visited Prague, and we had such an AMAZING time! As usual the time passed by far too quickly, but I was ecstatic every moment he was here. He had some difficulties with his flight, and ended up getting here about 7 hours later than expected. I was so anxious for his arrival... Some how I missed my bus to pick him up though and ended up not getting to the airport until an hour after he landed. That pretty much sucked! It didn't matter though because we were both so excited to see each other. We headed straight from the airport back to my apartment, where he received the grand tour... Ha ha! We took the first night pretty easy and grabbed a bite to eat at a small pub about a block away from me. Kenny was shocked by how much cheaper it was to eat out here than it is in Madrid. I also gave him a quick glance of Old Town Square at night; its one of my favorite locations in the city.

We started our first full day together with a trip to Bohemia Bagel. It is one of my favorite places to find authentic American food here in Prague. Its kind of like stepping into another world because the place is crawling with American tourists, everyone speaks English, and the menu is filled with all the deliciousness that reminds me of home. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Kenny was in heaven. We both ordered the biscuits and gravy dish called "I'm Not Going Anywhere After This Breakfast" (Dad and Aunt Laura, it doesn't come close to either of your recipes)... But, it was super good! We also discovered that they have bottomless fountain drinks... WITH ICE! Shocker! As many of you may know, drinks are nothing like they are in the states here in Europe. You get one .33 L soda with no ice... If you want more, you have to order another one. After breakfast we headed across the Charles Bridge to St. Nicholas Cathedral (see my earlier post.) From there we made our first attempt at seeing Prague Castle... we got there right as it was closing but still managed to wander around aimlessly for a little while, and snap a few picks from a great viewpoint. I think I fall a little more in love with Prague each day... The old architecture and red roofs just steal my heart! From the castle we headed back home and got ready to go to dinner. I took Kenny to my favorite Italian restaurant here in Prague. They have AMAZING food, large portions, and cheap prices... The best kind of restaurant! After dinner we met up with some other people from my program and went to a night club called Lucerna. Its one of the more "local" places that we go. They play American music from the 70's, 80's, and 90's. You should see how nuts the Czech people go for the Friend's theme song and Grease soundtrack; its a little absurd.

The next morning we headed back to Bohemia Bagel, where I tried a Philly Cheesesteak and Kenny opted for the Chicken Salad Sandwich... They were both delicious! We headed up to Petrín, which is a giant park on the top of a hill right in the middle of Prague. On top of the hill there are a few different tourist attractions, but I wanted to take Kenny to the Mirror Maze... It was a joke! I think it was made for 5 year olds... We were in and out in about 3 minutes. From there we headed into Old Town Square and had a traditional Czech treat, and then I took Kenny to my favorite Czech photographer, Jan Saudek's, permanent exhibit. We sort of got lost walking around old town and were out for a long time before we finally made our way back home. I decided to make Kenny a yummy dinner and we went to see the movie Shutter Island. It was really good!

Sunday morning, I made breakfast for Kenny and I, and then we headed to see the Lennon Wall, which is supposed to be a giant tribute to John Lennon. It has now been covered in graffiti and ugliness... but before I leave here I promise to put something up there that actually reps John Lennon, and then to post a picture for you all to see! We also headed back to the Prague Castle with plenty of time to site see (see my earlier post here as well)... We were able to see everything we meant to. On our way back from the castle I took Kenny to the Prague Modern Art Museum... I really enjoyed a lot of the stuff in the museum and thought Kenny would enjoy it also. After the museum we headed home and met up with some of the people in my program to go watch the olympics... We watched the USA play Canada for the gold in hockey... What a great game! Its a shame we lost. Kenny got to enjoy his first Smažený sýr (a block of fried cheese) though, so that was a success!

On Monday I gave Kenny a tour of my daily route to school and showed him a famous building that I see everyday, the Dancing House. We hopped off the tram and snapped a few photos, and then we headed to my school. I showed Kenny the building I take classes in and then took him to our program's favorite restaurant for lunch. We missed our typical lunch menu by just a few minutes and had to order from the normal menu... It had so many more options than the lunch menu! I went with a hamburger... It was the largest hamburger I have ever seen; it had a firework on a toothpick sticking out of the top of it! It was sooo delicious! After lunch we headed to the National Museum, which is free on the first Monday of the month... Lucky us! After the museum I took Kenny to this little bar/restaurant right around the corner from my apartment that serves the best Thai food. It is sooo good! From there we headed back to the apartment so Kenny could pack and I could figure out the best method for getting him to the airport on time.

Tuesday morning we woke up at 2:55 and walked to the tram stop. The tram ride was about a half hour and at the stop before ours I felt my purse move on my hip. I looked down and it was unzipped. I instinctively screamed, "That guy just stole my wallet"... Kenny ran the guy down and grabbed a hold of him. I ran after and saw my wallet in the guys hand. Kenny finally realized why he was holding on to the guy, and I realized Kenny's stuff was still on the tram. I grabbed it quickly and headed back outside. The guy was telling Kenny that my wallet had been on the floor... Sure. He snatched my wallet back from the guy and we were able to get back on the same tram. It all happened so quickly. The guy would have made away with about $200 in cash and my credit card. I was so lucky to have Kenny with me... My hero ♥ We were able to eat breakfast together at the airport and then we had to say goodbye. As typical, the waterworks didn't fall short on my end. I headed back home to try and get an hour or two of sleep in before class.

All in all it was such a great weekend, and I feel like I got to know Prague even better wandering the streets with Kenny. Now I only have a short 2 weeks to go until I board my train to meet Kenny in Zurich, Switzerland. We are going to the M4 music festival and I am so excited. From there we are heading to Pisa, Florence, and Rome; it is going to be so much fun! Next week I leave for my field study in Bratislava, Slovakia; Budapest, Hungary; and Vienna, Austria! Lots of exciting updates are on there way! I love you all and miss you sooo much! Don't forget to wish my momma a Happy Birthday in only 5 short days!

XOXO,

Sarah

2 comments:

  1. whats up sarah its tyler beck.
    how have you been?
    amanda says hi too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys! I am great! Prague is AMAZING!!! Europe is the best place in the world :) How are you guys?! How is Portland?

    ReplyDelete